Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Garden Experiment - June

June Update:
It has been HOT here and everything is still following trend by being a few weeks early.  The heat has caused my spinach, arugula, and lettuce to Bolt.  So much for salads all summer long.  I harvested virtually all of it and gave a several bunches away to some of my coworkers.

Blueberries are perhaps my absolute favorite plant in the garden.  I'm an Oregon native so what can I say.  I have a total of 14 plants, 4 of which are mature, and 10 that are 1 and 3 years old.  Suffice to say in a few years I will expect to triple my harvest of them.  Currently they about pace the appetites of my family as they only last a couple of days around here.

Asparagus is done, which is sad but bearable when it gets replaced by things like berries!
As far as the current top performers of value per square foot things have definitely changed: 

Lettuce: $7.74 per SF
Garlic: $7.30 per SF
Arugula: $3.15 per SF
Rhubarb: $2.93 per SF
Artichoke: $2.75 per SF
Asparagus: $1.33 per SF

Everything on this list however is more or less tapped our for the season.  With Blueberries only about half way through and Green Beans, Squash, and tomatoes all left to ripen we will see how it all transpires.  

Berries are priceless when you have a 2 year old that can eat them off the bush.  Currently just keeping pace with her voracious appetite!




First year ever growing garlic.  Success.  Even cleaned and braided to dry.

Tomatoes are only a few weeks away!  Have planted more varieties and plants than ever.  Optimistic, especially with this heat
Cherries have been an absolute failure!  Birds take one peck out of them just about 2 days before ripe.  Ants finish them off.  It is a sad sight.  I have only gotten about 10 total!

No comments: